India, Pakistan Become Full Members Of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
ii. With the inclusion of India and Pakistan, SCO now represents over 40% of world population and nearly 20% of the global GDP.
- The SCO was founded at a Summit in Shanghai in 2001 by the Presidents of Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- SCO is regarded as a counterweight to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
iii. The aim of the campaign is to motivate society to feel proud to be parents of a girl child, which, in turn, will result in improving child sex ratio.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the first President of India.
Minister of Railways Inaugurates 1st Indian Railways HR Round Table Conference
- Indian Railways is the biggest civilian employer in the country.
- John Mathai was the first Minister of Railways of India.
RBI Governor to appear before House panel on July 6
ii. This is the fourth time Patel has been summoned by the Parliamentary Standing Committee (PSC) on Finance, headed by Congress MP and former Union Minister Veerappa Moily.
- The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935 in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
- Urjit Patel is the 24th Governor of RBI.
- Sir Osborne Smith was the first Governor of the Reserve Bank.
SBI cuts interest rate on home loans above Rs 75 lakh by 10 bps
- SBI was established in 1955
- Smt. Arundhati Bhattacharya is the Chairperson of SBI
- SBI is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Indian Overseas Bank launches retail mart in Thiruvananthapuram
- Shri R. Subramaniakumar MD & CEO of IOB.
- IOB is headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Ajay Tyagi is the Chairman of SEBI
- SEBI is headquartered in Mumbai
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) of India Limited is the leading stock exchange of India, located in Mumbai.
Canara Bank ties up with New India Assurance Company
ii. The pact allows Canara Bank to offer non-life insurance products to its customers across metros and tier II and III cities through the bank’s extensive network of over 6,000 branches.
- New India Assurance Co Ltd is a 100 % Govt owned multinational general insurance company operating in 28 countries and headquartered at Mumbai.
- Mr. G. Srinivasan is the present Chairman cum Managing Director of New India Assurance Company.
- Canara Bank was founded as 'Canara Bank Hindu Permanent Fund' in 1906.
- Headquarter of Canara bank is in Bengaluru.
- Shri. T.N. Manoharan is the Chairman of Canara Bank.
Microsoft signs agreement to acquire Israeli security firm Hexadite
ii. This deal cost $100 million. Hexadite is an Israeli startup that uses Artificial Intelligence to identify and protect against cyber attacks.
- CEO of Microsoft is Satya Nadella.
- Headquarters of Microsoft is in Washington D.C., USA.
Govt sets up 18 sectoral groups for smooth GST rollout
i. The government has set up 18 sectoral groups, comprising senior members from the Centre and the States, to ensure the smooth rollout of the Goods and Services Tax.
ii. The 18 groups pertain to sectors such as banking and insurance, textiles, exports, information technology, transport, and oil and gas.
- The GST Council is headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
IOC approves new events for 2020 Tokyo Game
i. The International Olympic Committee has approved new events for the 2020 Tokyo Games, including a number of mixed gender competitions. The IOC’s Executive Board made the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland. The choices reflect the IOC’s focus on gender equality and appeal to young people.
- 2018 Olympic Winter Games will be held in PyeongChang.
- International Olympic Committee headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Eminent rights activist Mehrunnisa Dalwai passes away